Friday, February 20, 2009

Collect Old Jewelry

Collect Old Jewelry

Collecting old jewelry can be fun and profitable. Old jewelry can be found in many places. Its like finging a lost treasure each time you buy a piece.

I've been collecting old jewelry for many years. Some of it I sell and some I cannot part with. Old jewelry can be found at flea markets, yard sales and estate sales.

You'll need to do a little research on what kinds of jewelry to look for that will add value to your collection. In the beginning, I only bought pieces that appealed to me. I soon discovered that sometimes the pieces that I dislike could have great value. You will need to know how to spot these pieces and a little research goes a long way.

Cameos can be very valuable. Scenic cameos can be generally more expensive than bust cameos. Scenic cameos usually include a scene of a cottage, bridge and girl.

Glass beads are always a good value and many places will buy them.

Always look carefully at the jewelry that you find at yard sales and thrift stores. I've found many pieces of gold and made quite a nice profit on them. One time I found a watch that I paid 1.00 for and I sold it to a jeweler right away for 50.00. Always look for watches, you never know what you may find.

Buy a bottle of Tarnex. You'll be finding a lot of silver. It's so much fun cleaning them and discovering a beautiful piece of jewelry. I've found a lot of Mexican silver. This silver is so beautiful that I could never part with it.

Another thing that will make your collecting much easier are flat plastic trays with lids. They have compartments so that you can organize your jewelry. This will make it so much easier when you're looking for a particular piece. These trays can be bought at any home supply or department store.

Another thing that you'll need is a magnifying glass. This will help you to identify markings to determine whether it's gold or not and the designer's name. These are usually stamped on the back of the piece.

You'll also need a gold testing kit. These are little bottles of acid. You scatch a place that can't be seen on the piece to test it. The magnifying glass and gold testing kit can be bought at any jewelry supply store.

No comments: